Black Bean Burgers
- 2 398 ml cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 15 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ml ground cumin (1 1/2 tsp)
- 5 ml chili powder (1 tsp)
- 3 ml garlic powder (1/2 tsp)
- 1 ml smoked paprika (1/4 tsp)
- 125 ml bread crumbs or oat flour (1/4 cup)
- 125 ml feta cheese (1/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 15 ml Worcestershire sauce (1T)
- 30 ml ketchup, mayo, or BBQ sauce (2T)
Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out.
Meanwhile, sauté olive oil, chopped pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until peppers and onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
Place in a large bowl or in a food processor with the remaining ingredients (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, worcestershire, ketchup, salt, and pepper). Stir or pulse everything together, then add the black beans. Mash with a fork or pulse the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans.
Form into patties - makes about 8 patties.
To bake: Place patties on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F (191°C) for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total. To grill: Place patties on greased aluminum foil and grill 8 minutes on each side. Heat temperature is personal preference as all grills differ. Generally, black bean burgers should grill on medium-high heat about 350°F (177°C) – 400°F (204°C).
Serve over spinach with avocado and sriracha mayo and pair with baked or oven roasted sweet potatoes.
To make vegan, leave out the cheese, replace the Worcestershire sauce with a vegan worcestershire sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce, and replace the eggs with 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato. Use a vegan mayo for the sriracha mayo.
For Vegetarian use a vegan friendly worcestershire sauce.
Sriracha mayo is so easy to make, just add sriracha to mayo to your desired taste. Voilà